The Japan Powder Double
This trip combines the legendary Japanese powder in Japan’s premier powder location of Hakuba & Myoko in the Japanese Alps with the kind and hospitable Mountain culture of Japan. With 7 days of lift access backcountry guiding and 9 nights of cosy accommodation, this package is value packed.
- The best steep powder skiing destination in Japan - Hakuba and Myoko, situated in the Japanese Alps
- ACMG certified guide - with a low guide to guest ratio of Max 1:6
- 9 nights Accommodation and breakfast
- 7 days of lift access backcountry guiding. The trip focus is on maximising your powder skiing using lifts to access the backcountry. We push up into the Alpine on clear days or ski steep glades of Japanese birch when it's storming.
- All required lift tickets during guided ski days
- Group 4WD van for pick up and drop off from your accommodation. Our 7 passenger 4 wheel drive van means comfortable safe travel to and from your lodge to our daily selected access ski resort and shuttle between Hakuba & Myoko. It is also available for group trips to the grocery store, onsens and evening dinner exploration.
- Assistance in transportation to and from Hakuba and Myoko
- Access to knowledgeable Japanese speaking expats through Morino lodge for dinner advice, onsen selection, travel & cultural site information and potential medical issues.
- Immersion in Japanese ski culture and Cuisine
- Backcountry Skiing Travel Insurance. It’s recommended that you get Travel insurance that covers backcountry skiing and possible associated medical costs in case of injury. This company covers backcountry skiing: https://www.globalrescue.com/grmkt_resources/pdfs/Travel_Insurance_Benefits_Monday.pdf?rc=1&gcc=1029581712
The Skiing Locations
Hakuba and Myoko in the Japanese Alps are the best steep powder skiing location in Japan. The Japanese Alps are a mountain range north & west of Tokyo. The wide Hakuba valley has 11 ski resorts of which 5 are regularly used to access the backcountry. The terrain is described as truncated spurs, never ending dividing of ridge lines. This provides for an excellent range of aspect, elevation and steepness to choose from. There are plenty of options from big summits, steep faces and beautiful glades of s Japanese birches.
Myoko is another location in the Japanese Alps, it feels authentic Japanese, without the hype of Hakuba. Myoko is a classic volcano with a summit cone, covered in Japan's signature birch trees. There is some very interesting ski tour terrain including the summit of the volcanic plug and skiing passed sulfur vents. There are also other locations within a short drive that provide excellent powder skiing
5 nights accommodation and breakfast at the cosy Wadano Lodge in Hakuba. Wadano Lodge is nestled in a pretty forest location and is a short walking distance to numerous bars, restaurants and onsens. The lodge features a large common area and lounge. We have 2 triple western style room with shared common bathrooms and showers
4 nights accommodation and healthy buffet breakfast in Morino Lodge Myoko. Myoko lodge is a large lodge within walking distance of many restaurants and bars. It features its own indoor outdoor onsen, a large social lounge and lively bar. The private rooms sleep three to four people in bunk beds with ensuite bathroom and showers.
Who is this trip for?
This trip is for the serious backcountry skiers or split boarders that want to maximise their Japan powder experience. This means you are able to efficiently climb vertical after the skin track has been set by your guide and you are a proficient powder skier in steep terrain.
6th - 15th February 2019
17th - 26th February 2019